Trinidad-Tobago Defence Force claims over soldier's death disputed

Trinidad-Tobago Defence Force claims over soldier's death disputed


Warrant Officer Omar Samaroo. Photo: Trinidad Express

By Caribbean News Now contributor

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad — Statements made earlier this week by the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force (TTDF) in relation to what it described as a flow of misinformation being disseminated by some conspiracy theorists in relation to the recent death of Warrant Officer Omar Samaroo continue to be disputed.

Samaroo died last week Tuesday and, according to the TTDF, an autopsy conducted at the Trinidad and Tobago Forensic Science Centre identified the cause of death as being consistent with a single gunshot wound to the head.

“There were no other marks of violence or disturbances to his body,” the TTDF said in a statement, categorically denying “the mischievous and irresponsible claims by some” that Samaroo’s autopsy report indicates multiple injuries to his body.

However, opposition senator Wayne Sturge, in a letter to the Chief of Defence Brigadier General Rodney Smart and copied to attorney general Faris Al Rawi and National Security Minister Edmund Dillon, said that Samaroo’s death was suspicious, based on his injuries and how he was found.

According to the post mortem report, Samaroo died from a gunshot wound to the head and also sustained a number of broken ribs, said Sturge.

A family member of the officer said he had a bullet wound to the back of his head and a senior pathologist at Forensic Science Centre also stated that the wounds inflicted on Samaroo were not consistent with suicide.

al_rawi_daughter.jpg al_rawi_son.jpg

The leaked photographs of Attorney General Faris Al Rawi’s children holding automatic assault rifles at an army firing range

Samaroo was believed to be on a Board of Inquiry investigating the incident when current attorney general Faris Al Rawi’s children were photographed holding automatic assault rifles at an army firing range.

After months of investigation, the inquiry found that it was wrong what the AG’s children did.

Days later the army officer was shot dead.